Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Park Pictures

We had a blast at the park with John, Paula and Autumn.  It's Martin Dies, Jr. State park, between Jasper and Woodville, and it's really beautiful.  

We went fishing (Gabe and Paula rode their bikes to the fishing pier.  Brave girl, Paula!) and hiking.  We saw alligators in the water and some beautiful birds.  (water fowl is the correct term, I believe.)  The only thing I hooked fishing was my head.  Indeed, casting proves to be trickier than one would think.  So far I have not developed the brain fever that I was sure would occur from the  bacteria-laden, lake water coated, fish-hook that I speared in the back of my scalp.  I guess Marshall and John were right when they said "Nah" in response to my question "should I put some antibacterial ointment on this?"  hmmmm.

On Sunday we went to the Snake Feeding at the Nature Center, and Gabe went to "snake school."  The Ranger there taught the kids all about the snake and how he eats.  Note the look on Gabe's face when that snake grabbed the mouse.  Whoa!  Something you don't see every day in Richardson!  



We did see about 4-5 in the water.  Crazy, though VERY interesting.  Luckily the park has spent a lot of time and energy figuring out how to keep them uninterested in humans.  There are leash signs all over the park - meaning you MUST keep your dogs on a leash at all times.  Apparently an alligator's favorite snack is dog.  Therefore, if a dog gets in the water the scent will attract the alligators.  Not a desirable swimming companion in the swimming hole!

We are looking forward to going back in August and spending some time in the mini-cabin.  It will take me that long to pack...



No comments:

Post a Comment